Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Favourite Things: 3 - Eyes

In order to really appreciate our bodies, it's necessary to first find the things we already like about them (before we try to get over the "blessings in disguise"). These next three entries are basically just me bragging about my best features. Hopefully, in reading these Beowulfs of physical traits instead of physical feats, you'll be able to find something about yourself you haven't ever struggled to love.

They say that the eyes are the windows to the soul. If such is the case, I have to gloat and say that my soul's got some really nice stained glass going on.

My eyes are brown. I've always wanted them to be green. Always. But, what's really nice, is my eyes are brown and green. They're not like my brother's; he's got brown around the edges and green around the pupils. But, my eyes are still both. Flecks of both are kind of intermingled into this nice mossy mixture of pretty.

I like purely green eyes. I like blue eyes. I even like gray and hazel eyes. But I wouldn't give my eyes up for anything. Being a bit of a hippie, I'm sure, doesn't help. What hippie in her right mind wouldn't want to have "earthy" eyes? "I look through life with earthy tones and really appreciate Mother Nature, man. What've you got?"

On an entirely different note, I've also got very glamorous eyes. You may wonder "how can she have Haight-Ashbury eyes and 1940s Hollywood eyes?" and, I would agree; they're quite different ideas. You know that hazy shot they show, just before a kiss, of the leading actress's eyes with a light strewn over them? (If you don't, click this.) Have you ever noticed anything about their eyes? Well, I sure did.

1. They're incredibly natural. They never caked make-up on. Ever. In fact, they tend to only put eyeliner on the top lash along with some mascara. That's almost never done in modern fashion. (the idea was to emphasize the lips, but, still, the dramatic sweeping lines are simple, feminine, and natural.)
2.  They tend to have really nice, almond shaped eyes that turn up at the corners (kind of a feline look) or go straight out (doe). And even if they did have "droopy eyes," the make-up would make their eyes look like they were up-turned. Magic.
3. They glitter and sparkle with emotion and excitement. The really important part is that they convey emotion and don't get lost in shadow or excessive amounts of make-up.

So, what does this have to do with my eyes? I got really lucky and ended up with the up-turned, almond eyes and have embraced that shape for many years with simple make-up, as mentioned. I grew up watching those icons of glamor and, after trying out eyeliner in the traditional, modern practices, decided that the best way to go was back; back in time and back to the basics.

Something about knowing that women were once loved for a look that I have is so invigorating. And, it could be the hipster in me, but going against the grain of societal expectations for fashion is absolutely liberating. I can't say that a 1940s look is the best for everyone; some people can really pull off the smokey look, some people need to put white on the bottom lash. My rule (I'll probably repeat it frequently) is to find a look that works and don't let trends get in the way.

(Okay, confession: I was about to try to find an example of a really famous, beautiful actress whose eye make up might sway public taste. I looked up Angelina Jolie and Scarlett Johansson. Both embrace the simple 1940s look. There's a reason I like those ladies.)

You want to know the best thing about my eyes?

They get really squinty when I smile. That's all that matters, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment